Lesley Livingston brings readers an action-packed sequel to her debut novel, The Valiant, with The Defiant picking up shortly after the events of its predecessor, once again giving readers insight into the gladiatrices’ world through Fallon’s eyes.
Fallon was warned. Now she is about to pay the price for winning the love of the Roman people as Caesar’s victorious gladiatrix. Fallon thought she’d won her freedom, but choosing to stay comes at a cost. She and her warrior sisters are thrust into a vicious conflict with a rival gladiator academy. In the middle of the night, the Ludus Achillea falls under siege and only Fallon and a lucky few are able to flee. Together, they embark on a mission to take back the home Fallon has fought so hard for, and to free their fellow gladiatrices. But dark conspiracies and vicious power struggles confront Fallon at every turn, threatening not just her honor and her love for Roman soldier Cai, but the very heart of the ancient Roman empire. On the journey that will define her future, the only people who might possibly help the girl known as Victrix and her sisters are a tribe of long-forgotten mythic Amazon warriors. The only trouble is, they might just kill her first.
Continue reading “Mini Review: The Defiant by Lesley Livingston”
I know, I know, this is a couple days late (today being February 2nd, and all that), but better late than never, right?
I’ve got a huge stack of books at home to read (I blame Christmas and the Book Outlet for this particular problem), so I’ve split this month’s anticipated reads into two lists: older releases (mostly from 2016, some from earlier) I’ve yet to read and recently released books I can’t wait to read this month! (Disclaimer: I don’t actually expect to be able to read ALL these books this month – but I’ll certainly give it my best shot!)
Seriously though, my To Be Read List is out of control.
Most Anticipated New Releases:
- Frostblood by Elly Blake (released January 10, 2017)
- Roseblood by A.G. Howard (released January 10, 2017)
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber (released January 31, 2017)
- Kings Cage by Victoria Aveyard (to be released February 7, 2017)
- Gilded Cage (to be released February 14, 2017)
- The Valiant by Lesley Livingston (to be released February 14, 2017)
- You can find my Mini Monday Review for The Valiant (ARC) here!
- The Wish Granter by C.J. Redwine (to be released February 14, 2017)
- A Conjuring of Light by V.E.Schwab (to be released February 21, 2017)
In particular, I am very excited to read Caraval by Stephanie Garber – if you haven’t already, check out the new Book Club I am apart of, The YA Readers Alliance, and join us in reading Caraval this month! (We’re also on Bookstagram!)
And More Books on my TBR:
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- Fate of Flames by Sarah Raughley
- The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova
- The Swan Riders by Erin Bow
- Seven Black Diamonds by Melissa Marr
- Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski
- Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini
- Assassin’s Heart by Sarah Ahiers
- Dividing Eden (ARC) by Joelle Charbonneau
- The Sandcastle Empire (ARC) by Kayla Olson
- Missing (ARC) by Kelley Armstrong
And don’t forget, you can keep up with my current reads on Bookstagram!
The Valiant is a new novel in the Young Adult Fantasy genre by Lesley Livingston, set to release on February 14th, 2017. I was lucky enough to receive an Advanced Reader Copy, and with my head full of promises about female gladiators and deadly conflict, I dove right in! And despite some minor flaws in the writing style/plot pacing, The Valiant certainly lived up to my expectations!
“Are you a weapon or target?” – Lesley Livingston (The Valiant)
The youngest daughter of a proud Celtic king, Fallon has always lived in the shadow of her older sister Sorcha’s legendary reputation as a warrior. But when Fallon was a young child, the armies of Julius Caesar invaded the island of Britain and her beloved older sister was killed in battle. On the eve of her seventeenth birthday, Fallon is excited to follow in her sister’s footsteps and earn her rightful place in her father’s royal war band. But she never gets the chance. Instead, Fallon is captured by a band of ruthless brigands who sell her to an exclusive training school for female gladiators—and its most influential patron is none other than Julius Caesar himself. In a cruel twist of fate, Fallon’s worst enemy, the man who destroyed her family, might be her only hope of survival. Now, Fallon must overcome vicious rivalries, chilling threats and the dangerous attention of Caesar himself to survive the deadly fights that take place both in and out of the arena—and claim her place in history among the Valiant. (Chapters.Indigo.ca)
Continue reading “MINI MONDAY: The Valiant by Lesley Livingston”