Roar is New York Times bestselling author Cora Carmack’s young adult debut. Released in North America on June 13th, 2017, this stunning addition to the Young Adult Fantasy genre is sure to please fans of the genre, and capture the attention of even those who don’t normally find themselves gravitating towards YA Fantasy.
In a land ruled and shaped by violent magical storms, power lies with those who control them. Aurora Pavan comes from one of the oldest Stormling families in existence. Long ago, the ungifted pledged fealty and service to her family in exchange for safe haven, and a kingdom was carved out from the wildlands and sustained by magic capable of repelling the world’s deadliest foes. As the sole heir of Pavan, Aurora’s been groomed to be the perfect queen. She’s intelligent and brave and honorable. But she’s yet to show any trace of the magic she’ll need to protect her people. To keep her secret and save her crown, Aurora’s mother arranges for her to marry a dark and brooding Stormling prince from another kingdom. At first, the prince seems like the perfect solution to all her problems. He’ll guarantee her spot as the next queen and be the champion her people need to remain safe. But the more secrets Aurora uncovers about him, the more a future with him frightens her. When she dons a disguise and sneaks out of the palace one night to spy on him, she stumbles upon a black market dealing in the very thing she lacks-storm magic. And the people selling it? They’re not Stormlings. They’re storm hunters. Legend says that her ancestors first gained their magic by facing a storm and stealing part of its essence. And when a handsome young storm hunter reveals he was born without magic, but possesses it now, Aurora realizes there’s a third option for her future besides ruin or marriage. She might not have magic now, but she can steal it if she’s brave enough. Challenge a tempest. Survive it. And you become its master.
Continue reading “Roar by Cora Carmack”
FairyLoot is a monthly book subscription box that specializes in Young Adult Fantasy books, based out of London, England. Previous themes include Warriors and Legends (May 2017), Dreams and Wishes (April 2017) and Myths and Monsters (March 2017). Every month they have a different theme and select an exciting new title with 4-6 hand selected goodies – like book inspired teas, candles, bookmarks, tote bags, and more!
So, how can you get a FairyLoot box of your own (because once you see the awesome books and all the awesome loot in them, I know you’ll want one too)? For more information, check out http://www.fairyloot.com/
And, if you decide to subscribe? Use the code ONEPAGE5 to save 5% of your 3 or 6 month subscription! How cool is that?
So now, on to the exciting part – the unboxing! The theme for June 2017’s FairyLoot box was “Elementalists”, and it featured some truly awesome stuff! Honestly this may be my favourite FairyLoot box ever – they just keep getting better and better! (Warning: Spoilers for box contents past this point!)
So what, exactly, was in the box?
- One of five different Stormheart Candles (I got the Skyfire one!) made by Witchwood Remedies
- One of four Bending Lipbalms (inspired by Avatar: The Last Airbender) made by Geeky Clean
- A Hamsa Hand Bracelet made by In the Moment (see full unboxing photo below!)
- Clairvoyance Soap made by Ascent Bath and Body
- Potion Sticky Notes made by FairyLoot (see full unboxing photo below!)
- Portable Magic Pillowcase designed by Miss Phi
- The Waking Land Sampler
- Frostblood (Elly Blake) Postcards
- And, of course, the book of the month – Roar by Cora Carmack, which came with a letter from Cora and a signed bookplate!
This post may be a few days late… But better late than never, right? June is sure to be a busy month for me, what with the end of the school year and the start of summer camp just around the corner, but there’s always time for reading! Even if it has to be done in the dead of night when I’m supposed to be sleeping.
But who could sleep with all these awesome new and upcoming releases? (Plus some older releases I’ve finally added to my TBR!) I’m also thinking that I may just have to camp out at the book store on June 13, because wow! – so many books coming out on one day!
- Roar by Cora Carmack (June 13, 2017)
- Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab (June 13, 2017)
- Now I Rise by Kiersten White (June 27, 2017)
- Obsidian and Stars by Julie Eshbaugh (June 13, 2017)
- Royal Bastards by Andrew Shvarts (May 30, 2017)
- Thief’s Cunning by Sarah Ahiers (June 13, 2017)
- Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser (June 6, 2017)
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (July 3, 2012)
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (July 1, 2014)
- Beren and Luthien by J.R.R. Tolkien, illustrated by Alan Lee and edited by Christopher Tolkien (June 1, 2017)
Please note that the above release dates reflect North American publication dates; they in no way are guaranteed to reflect international publication dates!