The Girl of Fire and Thorns meets The Queen of the Tearling in this thrilling fantasy standalone about one girl’s unexpected rise to power (Goodreads). Released on February 21st, 2017, Long May She Reign by Rhiannon Thomas is a powerful story about a girl overcoming impossible odds to not only survive, but to rule.
Freya was never meant be queen. Twenty third in line to the throne, she never dreamed of a life in the palace, and would much rather research in her laboratory than participate in the intrigues of court. However, when an extravagant banquet turns deadly and the king and those closest to him are poisoned, Freya suddenly finds herself on the throne. Freya may have escaped the massacre, but she is far from safe. The nobles don’t respect her, her councillors want to control her, and with the mystery of who killed the king still unsolved, Freya knows that a single mistake could cost her the kingdom – and her life. Freya is determined to survive, and that means uncovering the murderers herself. Until then, she can’t trust anyone. Not her advisors. Not the king’s dashing and enigmatic illegitimate son. Not even her own father, who always wanted the best for her, but also wanted more power for himself. As Freya’s enemies close in and her loyalties are tested, she must decide if she is ready to rule and, if so, how far she is willing to go to keep the crown (Goodreads).
Continue reading “Long May She Reign by Rhiannon Thomas”
March came in roaring like a lion last night (quite literally – the booming thunder and flashing lightning kept me up quite late!). But we all know what the beginning of a new month means- a new TBR list!
I managed to chip away at a significant amount of my TBR List, but it’s still quite large. That being said, my goal this month is to get my TBR pile down to only 5 books.
The following are books I already own, but which are currently (sadly) sitting unread on my shelf (or in my Kindle library):
- Long May She Reign by Rhiannon Thomas (this book is also The YA Readers Alliance’s Book of the Month for March!)
- Roseblood by A.G. Howard
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- Seven Black Diamonds by Melissa Marr
- Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski
- Assassin’s Heart by Sarah Ahiers
- Trial by Fire by Rachel Angelini
- The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova
- Island of Exiles (ARC) by Erica Cameron
In addition, I am very excited to read some new, upcoming releases (although, in order to reach my goal of getting my TBR list down to 5 books (and maybe save a bit of money too), I’ve really limited the new releases I’ll be reading this month!
- The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon (March 7th)
- Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton (March 14th)
- Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves (March 28th)*
- The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco (you can find my review of The Bone Witch (ARC) here!) (March 7th)
- Hunted by Meagan Spooner (March 14th)
- A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi (March 28th)*
*Due to the late release dates of these books, I probably won’t get to reading them until April, but one can always hope, right?
The Epic Reads Team has also put together a pretty comprehensive list of books, from multiple genres, that are set to release this month – you can check it out here!