Gilded Cage by Vic James is darkly fantastical debut set in a modern England where magically gifted aristocrats rule, and commoners are doomed to serve – for ten years of their lives, at the mercy of cruel master who view them as nothing more than chattels of the state.
“I know you like history, Abigail. Remember: those who don’t learn from it are doomed to repeat it. Or should it be: those who do learn from it are able to repeat it?” – Silyen (Vic James, Gilded Cage, p. 279)
Our world belongs to the Equals—aristocrats with magical gifts—and all commoners must serve them for ten years. But behind the gates of England’s grandest estate lies a power that could break the world. Abi is a servant to England’s most powerful family, but her spirit is free. So when she falls for one of their noble-born sons, Abi faces a terrible choice. Uncovering the family’s secrets might win her liberty—but will her heart pay the price? Abi’s brother, Luke, is enslaved in a brutal factory town. Far from his family and cruelly oppressed, he makes friends whose ideals could cost him everything. Now Luke has discovered there may be a power even greater than magic: revolution. He is a shadow in the glittering world of the Equals, with mysterious powers no one else understands. But will he liberate—or destroy? (Chapters.Indigo.ca)
Continue reading “Gilded Cage by Vic James”
I know, I know, this is a couple days late (today being February 2nd, and all that), but better late than never, right?
I’ve got a huge stack of books at home to read (I blame Christmas and the Book Outlet for this particular problem), so I’ve split this month’s anticipated reads into two lists: older releases (mostly from 2016, some from earlier) I’ve yet to read and recently released books I can’t wait to read this month! (Disclaimer: I don’t actually expect to be able to read ALL these books this month – but I’ll certainly give it my best shot!)
Seriously though, my To Be Read List is out of control.
Most Anticipated New Releases:
- Frostblood by Elly Blake (released January 10, 2017)
- Roseblood by A.G. Howard (released January 10, 2017)
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber (released January 31, 2017)
- Kings Cage by Victoria Aveyard (to be released February 7, 2017)
- Gilded Cage (to be released February 14, 2017)
- The Valiant by Lesley Livingston (to be released February 14, 2017)
- You can find my Mini Monday Review for The Valiant (ARC) here!
- The Wish Granter by C.J. Redwine (to be released February 14, 2017)
- A Conjuring of Light by V.E.Schwab (to be released February 21, 2017)
In particular, I am very excited to read Caraval by Stephanie Garber – if you haven’t already, check out the new Book Club I am apart of, The YA Readers Alliance, and join us in reading Caraval this month! (We’re also on Bookstagram!)
And More Books on my TBR:
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- Fate of Flames by Sarah Raughley
- The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova
- The Swan Riders by Erin Bow
- Seven Black Diamonds by Melissa Marr
- Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski
- Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini
- Assassin’s Heart by Sarah Ahiers
- Dividing Eden (ARC) by Joelle Charbonneau
- The Sandcastle Empire (ARC) by Kayla Olson
- Missing (ARC) by Kelley Armstrong
And don’t forget, you can keep up with my current reads on Bookstagram!