Well Bookworms, this month has certainly been a month to remember. With much of our daily lives changed for the foreseeable future, I have found myself struggling to commit to reading – or to anything really. Instead I have been spending time exploring some of my other hobbies, including gardening and painting! Another big change in April was the launch of Distance Learning for public schools here in Ontario, which was both a welcome challenge, and a huge learning curve. Teaching Kindergarten online is not something that I ever imagined I would be doing – and yet here I am!
While I didn’t get as much reading done as I had hoped to this month, I did finish The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon! This is hugely exciting, because The Priory of the Orange Tree had been sitting in my to be read box since June 2019. Some other books that I read include The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi, The Silvered Serpents (ARC) by Roshani Chokshi, The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, and Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. That being said, I really do have to catch up on my book reviews as well!
Continue reading “May 2020 Reading List”
Well Bookworms, I write to you from a much different position than I did a month ago, upon the creation of my March 2020 Reading List. To say that the events of the past month were unexpected would be, in my humble opinion, a tad bit of an understatement. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine widespread school closures, emergency measures, and the kinds of heartbreak and catastrophe that are even now shaping our world. And yet, here we are, and I find myself looking towards the little joys and victories in life, rather than focusing on the uncertainties around me.
One little joy I am happy to celebrate is the amount of books that I read in March. While I had hoped to read a lot over March Break, an extra two weeks of ample reading time allowed me to really get through a significant amount of the books in my To Be Read Box, including: House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City) by Sarah J Maas (Release Date: March 3, 2020), Havenfall by Sara Holland (Release Date: March 3, 2020), A Song Below Water by Bethany C Morrow (Release Date: June 2, 2020), The Dark Tide by Alicia Jasinka (Release Date: June 2, 2020), and more! Honestly, this is a major victory for me, and I am considering celebrating it with a Reading Wrap-Up post.
Continue reading “April 2020 Reading List”
Hey Bookworms! For those of you who have been following my reading journey on my Bookstagram, you’ll know that I have a relatively successful reading month in August – in fact, I nearly completely my entire TBR List! Of course, that was before I made a trip to The Book Outlet for some older, and found myself drowning in late August/early September releases that I just couldn’t pass up.
So, what will I be reading this month?
I am going to try and be realistic with myself this month – with a new apartment to unpack, and a brand new educational journey, I am not sure how much time I’ll have to read, so I am under no illusions of believing I will actually be able to finish every book on the below list – even half would be an accomplishment!
In addition, this month, since I will be tackling some older releases I picked up at The Book Outlet (2014 and earlier), I’ve split my reading list into two groups – The Old and The New!
- Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (May 22, 2012)
- Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier (May 28, 2013)
- Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier (October 7, 2014)
- Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes (July 15, 2014)
- Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke (May 22, 2016)
- Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller (August 29th, 2017)
- Godsgrave: Book Two Of The Nevernight Chronicle by Jay Kristoff (September 5, 2017)
- Tower of Dawn by Sarah J Maas (September 6th, 2017)
- Fireblood by Elly Blake (September 12, 2017)
- One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake (September 19, 2017)
- The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo (September 26th, 2017)
This post may be a few days late… But better late than never, right? June is sure to be a busy month for me, what with the end of the school year and the start of summer camp just around the corner, but there’s always time for reading! Even if it has to be done in the dead of night when I’m supposed to be sleeping.
But who could sleep with all these awesome new and upcoming releases? (Plus some older releases I’ve finally added to my TBR!) I’m also thinking that I may just have to camp out at the book store on June 13, because wow! – so many books coming out on one day!
- Roar by Cora Carmack (June 13, 2017)
- Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab (June 13, 2017)
- Now I Rise by Kiersten White (June 27, 2017)
- Obsidian and Stars by Julie Eshbaugh (June 13, 2017)
- Royal Bastards by Andrew Shvarts (May 30, 2017)
- Thief’s Cunning by Sarah Ahiers (June 13, 2017)
- Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser (June 6, 2017)
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (July 3, 2012)
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (July 1, 2014)
- Beren and Luthien by J.R.R. Tolkien, illustrated by Alan Lee and edited by Christopher Tolkien (June 1, 2017)
Please note that the above release dates reflect North American publication dates; they in no way are guaranteed to reflect international publication dates!
You all know how this list starts – with one of the most anticipated Young Adult Fantasy releases of the year – A Court of Wings and Ruin by none other than the Queen of YA Fantasy herself, Sarah J Maas. I’ve got plenty of other books to read though, and with the school term (finally) done, I’ve got plenty of time to read them!
This list includes some new releases, some books that have been on my previous TBR’s (but obviously haven’t had the time to read), The YA Readers Alliance Books of the Month, and my entire book haul from the Book Outlet!
Speaking of the YA Readers Alliance, our Main Read for the month of May will be The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, and the Optional Read for the month of May will be A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas! You can find more information about our monthly reads here.
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas (Released May 2nd, 2017 – this book is also The YA Readers Alliance May Optional Read!)
- Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh (Released May 16th, 2017)
- The Crown’s Fate by Evelyn Skye (Released May 16th, 2017)
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova
- Wicked Like Wildfire (ARC) by Lana Popovic
- Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan
- Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
- Mortal Gods by Kendare Blake
- Ungodly by Kendare Blake
- Firewalker by Josephine Angelini
- Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige
- The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (This book is the YA Readers Alliance May Main Read!)
Normally I make a TBR for the month, but this month, in celebration of the holiday season, I decided to make a Christmas Wish List instead (since I’ll be saving my money to give gifts, not buy books, this month)!
- Fate of Flames by Sarah Raughley
- Poisoned Blade by Kate Elliot
- The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson
- Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson
- A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnson
- A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- The Stranger Game by Cylin Busby
- Broken Prince by Erin Watt
- The Fate of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
I’ve also been stocking up on books for my family (because what else would I be gifting for Christmas?), so keep an eye out for not only my own Holiday Book Haul, but my stack of Gift Books!
What’s on your holiday wishlist this year?